WHAT TO EXPECT
The laser delivers light that creates many tiny holes in the surface of the skin. The laser only targets a small Portion of the skin leaving most of the skin intact. The untreated healthy skin that surrounds the vaporised tissue stimulates accelerated collagen product and promotes skin healing.
What skin conditions can CO2 help?
The CO2 is suitable for both men and women and can improve the appearance of the skin by:
- Significantly reducing lines and wrinkles
- Tightening and firming the skin
- Stimulating new collagen production
- Correcting sun damaged skin
- Producing an even skin tone
- Improving the appearance of acne scars
How many treatments will I need?
The number of treatments required is dependent upon the depth of treatment. A Deep Laser Peel delivers the greatest improvement for lines and wrinkles; skin elasticity and acne scars require the fewest treatments. However, the downtime post treatment is longer. Typically, only 1-2 sessions are required with repeat treatment at six months for further improvement. A Soft Laser Peel does not have such a long downtime but repeat sessions are more likely. Usually, 2-3 sessions are required at 3-4 monthly intervals.
How long does treatment take?
It takes about 30 minutes to treat the full face. However, some pre and post treatment care is required, and you will need to be at the clinic for about 2 hours.
Does it hurt?
Treatment sensation varies from individual. You can expect a slight ‘stinging’ sensation, but most people find it quite tolerable. To increase your comfort, we apply a topical anaesthetic prior to treatment.
What should I expect after the treatment?
After your CO2 treatment you need to be prepared for some downtime. Immediately after the procedure your skin will be red, and you are likely to feel as though you have bad sunburn. It is also normal to experience swelling, particularly around the eyes. Swelling is present for 24-48 hours post treatment. For the first few days following treatment your skin will form a ‘micro-crust’ and have a bronzed appearance. The skin will also feel quite tight, and it is important that your skin does not dry out (using Vaseline will help to avoid this). The length of downtime will vary depending upon the density and depth of the treatment. This could be between 4 – 14 days. We will carefully discuss your treatment goals and expected downtime during a consultation.
When will results be visible?
You will notice benefits within 7 days of treatment. Some erythema (redness) may remain, but the skin will be visibly improved. The laser stimulates production of collagen so you will experience progressive benefits for at least six months post treatment. The new collagen will promote skin tightening and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
Is CO2 safe?
CO2 offers significant improvement to the skin. With any laser procedure there are risks. However, we take steps to minimise any chance of an adverse reaction. Prior to treatment we will:
- Take your medical history, examine your skin, and discuss your treatment aims.
- Prescribe medications to prevent complications.
- Provide detailed after care instructions.
- Schedule a follow up within 2-3 days of your treatment
What should I do if I am concerned?
We will schedule a follow up appointment 2-3 days after your treatment. However, should you have any concerns prior to your allotted date please do not hesitate to contact the clinic.
MY COSMETIC CLINIC
- Expert surgeons, see our before and after results here.
- Dedicated care with your expert surgeon and nursing team, and a 24 hour help line.
- Peace of mind with our personal three-year aftercare programs.
- We have state of the art hospital facilities.
- We assure our medical team will discuss and plan any treatments with you in detail
MEET OUR SURGEONS
Our team will consult you on multiple occasions prior to your surgery or treatment.They will also check on your recovery progress following your surgery in the follow-up consultations to ensure we achieve optimum results.
Our team will consult you on multiple occasions prior to your surgery or treatment.They will also check on your recovery progress following your surgery in the follow-up consultations to ensure we achieve optimum results. We take photos throughout your journey with us as part of your medical records, with your consent, to ensure we are able to show you the satisfactory outcome and to show the difference in appearance. We provide the same high level of professional care for all of our patients.
Mr Khan is a dedicated plastic surgeon with diverse experience in plastic and cosmetic procedures. His special clinical interests include cosmetic surgery, ...Learn more
Mr Oudit is one of the most prominent Plastic Surgeons in the UK. He is fully qualified and British-trained. He is a ...Learn more
We will go through your medical history and address any concerns and questions that you may have and discuss the risks and benefits of the treatment options with you.
Following your fractional laser treatment, you may wish to take a few days off work. The number of days you require will depend upon the depth of your Laser Peel and your particular job. Please discuss this issue with your practitioner but typically people will take off 1-3 days following a Soft Laser Peel and up to 7 days for a Deep Laser Peel.
1. Following your fractional laser treatment you will experience a burning sensation on the skin, similar to sunburn, that may last up to 4-6 hours.
2. Treatment to the facial area will result in a pronounced erythema (redness) similar to sunburn for the first few days. A fine graze or micro-crust will form on the treated area. Do not be concerned, as this is an expected outcome and promotes the healing process.
3. Swelling of the area is expected, and may last up to 5 days.
4. You may experience some pin-point bleeding in the area, this is normal following the stronger treatments.
5. If you have any discomfort following the treatment you may take paracetomol as directed on the packet.
6. Depending on the level of treatment you may be prescribed anti-viral and/or antibiotic medications. Take as prescribed and finish the course of medication.
7. After 1-3 days the eschar (ablated skin) will become less visible and the skin will appear bronzed. At this point, make-up may be applied if desired. We recommend the use of a mineral cosmetic, applied with a new application brush. (A common reason for infection or acne eruption post treatment is the use of home skin care products that have accumulated bacteria).
8. Skin redness may persist for 3-7 days. Approximately 4 days following the procedure the skin will get darker and then it start to flake. More intense treatments can take 7-14 for complete recovery.
9. Wash your hands thoroughly before each and every time you touch your face.
10. Wash your skin with cool water using a mild soap-free cleanser.
11. Apply Vaseline® to the lips and any dry treated areas 4 times a day. Apply more frequently if the skin feels tight and try to avoid pronounced facial expressions (especially around the mouth).
12. Eye Area: Treatment to the eyelids is likely to result in swelling. Redness can persist for up to 7 days. Cleanse your eyes with cool water and dab or pat very lightly with a soft towel. Avoid hot water. Lubricating the eye with drops (i.e. artificial tears) will help to minimise any dryness.
13. Rest after treatment. Avoid strenuous exercise, bending, straining, stooping or lifting heavy objects for 1 week after the procedure. These activities may cause more swelling and discomfort and slow down your recovery.
14. Sleep in a slightly elevated position. Use 2-3 pillows under your head & neck to minimise swelling.
15. Avoid sun exposure for at least six months. A sunscreen SPF 30 or higher should be applied every day. Wear a hat and sunglasses. Your skin is extremely vulnerable to the sun after having a laser treatment. Protecting your skin and limiting sun exposure will ensure the best cosmetic results.
16. Schedule a follow-up appointment for 2-3 days after the procedure. You may not need to come in but at least this will ensure you have an appointment.
Get in touch
One of our friendly surgical coordinators will be delighted to help with your enquiry.